MEDinART is a global and continuously growing network of 140 artists inspired by biomedical sciences.
Unique in its content and character, its aims are to unite the biomedical-inspired artists, to communicate bio-medical sciences through the arts, to inspired and educate the scientists, artists and the general public and to globalise the biomedical-inspired art movement.
MEDinART is an independent project that was launched at the main stage of TEDMEDLive Athens 2013 and since then it is constantly expanding around the globe promoting the bio-medical inspired art movement in international events, conferences, exhibitions, interviews and articles in newspapers/magazines. MEDinART has been presented through video projections and invited talks in International events and conferences in Europe (Belgium, Denmark, Greece, Switzerland), Kazakhstan as well as Saint Louis and Atlanta, USA.
MEDinART has been collaborated and co-organised Science/Art events with International art organisations: ΤΕDMEDLive Athens (2013), Fabrica Vitae (2014-today), BIOMAB (2014-today), Andreas Syggros Museum (2015), Vesalius Continuum (2015), Interalia Magazine-UK (2016-today), CardioMED2016 (2016), SciArt Magazine-New York (2017), Athens Science Festival (2017), as well as governmental bodies (Embassy of Belgium in Athens, Kazakhstan and Copenhagen).
Creator, director and curator of MEDinART is Vasia Hatzi, PhD Geneticist.
MEDinART Creator and Director: Vasia Hatzi, PhD Geneticist
Vasia Hatzi holds a BSc in Genetics (University of Liverpool, UK), an MSc in Applied Genetics & Biotechnology (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece) and a PhD in Cytogenetics (Medical School, University of Athens, Greece). She has been awarded with two scholarships (IKY, NSCR “Demokritos”) and she has participated in 5 awarded presentations in international scientific conferences. Co-author of 30 peer reviewed publications and 4 book chapters, translator of one book of Genetics, presenter of 70 abstracts in European and International Conferences, reviewer in 12 International journals and member of 5 International Societies. She has been member of the organizing committee of 2 scientific conferences in her field, 2 Science and Art events, member of the organising team of TEDMED Live Athens 2013.
Aiming to communicate her science through a different path, she created LaB. Bio-Conceptual Creations (www.La-B.gr), a hybrid world that links Biology with Art, where cellular structures of the microcosm are transformed into wearable bio-conceptual creations. Willing to familiarize the general public with biomedical inspired art and connect the med-inspired artists from all around the world, she has inspired and created the continuously growing global art-network MEDinART (www.MEDinART.eu). Her artwork and MEDinART have been presented in National and International exhibitions and Sci/Art events in Europe and USA. Her work is featured in the International touring exhibition Fabrica Vitae, dedicated to the great Flemish anatomist and artist Andreas Vesalius. She is a member of ERRS (European Radiation Research Society) and the Scientific Advisory Committee of BIOMAB, the Biological and Medical Art Organization in Belgium.
Artists: Mania Efstathiou, Leontios Hadjileontiadis, Keti Haliori, Vasia Hatzi, Christiana Kazakou, Peggy Kliafa, Maria Lambropoulou, Konstantinos N. Patsios, Eleni Petridou, George Vardakis, Sofia Vini, FAME Lab (interactive exhibition of thermophotography), MEDinART Video screening.
Curator: Vasia Hatzi
In collaboration with the Embassy of Belgium in Athens and Andreas Syggros Museum in Athens-Greece, MEDinART co-organised “500th Birthday Celebration of Andreas Vesalius“ on 17th of December 2014: a multi-dimentional event of Medicine and Art dedicated to the great Flemish physician and artist, Andreas Vesalius. The event included private tour in Andreas Syggros Museum (Athens-Greece) and Fabrica Vitae contemporary art exhibition, film projections, book presentation (“In Search of Andreas Vesalius: The Quest for the Lost Grave” by Theo Dirix), Renaissance music concert and talks from distinguished speakers.
In Interalia Magazine: Online magazine dedicated to Art, Science and Consciousness. Editor-in-Chief: Richard Bright, Founder and Director of The Interalia Centre.
(1) “Bio-Med-Art” (Issue June-July 2015). This double issue was co-edited with Vasia Hatzi, PhD Geneticist, artist, and founder of MEDinART. BioMedArt explores artists that are involved with and inspired by the biological and medical sciences. Contributions include exclusive interviews with Pascale Pollier, Angela Palmer, Peggy Kliafa, Chantal Pollier, Emilio Vavarella and Fito Segrera; articles by Suzanne Anker, Anna Dumitriu, Vasia Hatzi, Laura Splan, Christiana Kazakou, George Petrou, Cindy Stelmackowich, Theo Dirix and Yiannis Melanitis; plus ‘blog videos’ with Sivu,Leonardo da Vinci, Body of Songs and Dino Valls.
(2) “The Art in HeArt” (Issue June 2016) was co-edited with Vasia Hatzi, PhD Geneticist, artist, and founder of MEDinART. The aim of the issue is to explore the work of artists that are inspired by the human heart, together with a scientist and medical illustrator who the discuss the relationship between cardiology and art. Contributions include articles by Chantal Pollier, Joanna Culley and Valentina Stefanescu; exclusive interviews with Helen Pynor, Peta Clancy, Vasia Hatzi, Benjamin A. Vierling, Julia Grapsa, Federico Carbajal and Κonstantinos Patsios.
(1) Theo Dirix, “Fifty Things from Belgium” (pp. 157-159, 170-177). The book highlights a series of cultural events initiated by the Embassy of Belgium in Greece between 2011 and mid-2015. Published by the Embassy of Belgium, Greece.
(3) Maria Alexiou, “MΕDinART: Όταν η Ιατρική συναντά την Τέχνη. Το «υβριδικό» σημείο συνάντησης δύο φαινομενικά ασύνδετων κόσμων” (article in Greek), Athens Voice, Greece, 31/03/2017.
(1) Greek public TV channel NERIT. Emission “Επιμένουμε Ελλάδα”. Vasia Hatzi has been interviewed about MEDinART and the event “Vesalius Continuum, Zakynthos, 2014” together with Marc Van Den Reeck, Ambassador of Belgium in Greece.
(2) INTERALIA Magazine (“Bio-Med-Art“, Issue June-July 2015). Online magazine dedicated to Art, Science and Consciousness. Editor-in-Chief of Interalia magazine: Richard Bright, Founder and Director of The Interalia Centre.
(3) INTERALIA Magazine (“The Art in HeArt“, Issue June 2016). Online magazine dedicated to Art, Science and Consciousness. Editor-in-Chief of Interalia magazine: Richard Bright, Founder and Director of The Interalia Centre.
MEDinART creates mutual beneficial partnerships which enable a supportive and generative relationship for both parties involved. If your business or organization is interested in partnering with MEDinART, please contact us at [email protected]; [email protected]
MEDinART is featured in Fabrica Vitae the International Touring Exhibition about the fabric of life inspired by Andreas Vesalius 1514-1564. The intention of the touring exhibition is to question what we consider the role of Art and Anatomy to be in this modern world. Fabrica Vitae Curators: Pascale Pollier, Eleanor Crook; Guest Curators: Chantal Pollier, Athar Jaber
Vesalius Continuum: An International interdisciplinary Platform where Science and Art meet. Inspired from the work of Andreas Vesalius, the Flemish the legendary anatomist and artist or the Renaissance. Founders of Vesalius Continuum: Pascale Pollier, Theo Dirix, Mark Gardiner, Ann Van de Velde
BIOMAB: The Biological and Medical art in Belgium. BIOMAB Board: Francis Van Glabbeek (president), Geert Van Eeckhout (secretary), Ann Van de Velde (treasurer), Caitlin Monney (international affairs), Pascale Pollier-Green (scientific advisor ARSIC).
1. June-July 2015 Issue, “BioMedArt“, Interalia Magazine, co-edited with Vasia Hatzi, includes interviews and articles from distinguished biomedical artists whose work is featured in MEDinART.
2. June 2016 Issue, “The Art in HeArt“, Interalia Magazine, co-edited with Vasia Hatzi, includes interviews and articles from distinguished artists whose work is inspired by the anatomy of human heart and cardiology and is featured in MEDinART.
Subscribe to INTERALIA Magazine, HERE
Subscribe to online SciArt Magazine, HERE.
Subscribe to printed SciArt Magazine, HERE.